(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Another Suggestion
From: Brock Rozen <brozen @ torah . org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:57:48 +0200 (IST)
To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Cc: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

> > I don't know, there's just some things I believe should be left to people
> > who can only login to the system.
>
> i.e., the sysadmins, who may have nothing at all to do with the entire
> list process other than initial software installation?  Many of us do not
> allow list-owners, or even service managers, shell logins.

And that denial of logins translates into more work. Allow them limited
shell logins and you remove work off your back. Opening it up to
interactive systems might be more of a security hole than allowing those
who already run part of your system a little more access to it.

Delegate your work to someone who does have shell login. A sysadmin can't
keep everybody else from logging in and then complain when the workload
gets too high. There's always compromises...

and as I said, auto-recompilation of sendmail related files should remain
with sendmail, not some other program.

--
Brock Rozen                                              brozen@torah.org
Director of Technical Services                              (410)358-9800