(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Digests - delays and heuristics
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 11 Jan 1999 09:29:01 -0600
To: <dlaliberte @ gte . com>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

D> A feature I would (optionally) want in a digester is a delay between the
D> time a message arrives and when it ends up in a digest.

Hmm.  Well, there is the 'minage' control which holds off digest generation
until messages have stopped flowing for some period of time, to handle
low-volume lists with bursts of conversation.

But the real problem is that the digest algorithm has been hashed out and
up for comment for many months now and was generally accepted by all, and
I've spent too much time implementing it, so I'm not really anxious to
rewrite it right now.  The code to look at is Mj::Digest::choose(); this
function selects which messages should go in the digest.  Right now it's
simple; it choose messages in chronological order until size limits are
exceeded.

 - J<