(January 1999)

Subject: Re: problem with duplicate msg bounce
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:42:07 -0800
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 09:25 AM 1/20/99 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>That's a good point.  The message _is_ a duplicate because it's been
>through the system before.  I'm not really sure how to handle this

My suggestion is to not store message checksums (or whatever mechanism
is used to detect duplicates) until the message is DISTRIBUTED. Don't
enter messages as they are received, enter them on the way out. Whether
the post is stalled or denied, until it goes out there is no reason to
put it in the database. Other messages aren't duplicates until one has
been sent, eh? The whole point is to protect people against receiving
multiple copies, and that isn't needed if the posts aren't getting out.

>problem is that outright denials are (IMHO) a bad thing; the owner is there
>to approve (or reject) things and people should never have to resend them.

In the past, I've encountered spammers who know that sending posts to
subscriber-only lists is a way to specifically reach list owners.
Not with my current setup! Bit bucket - plop.

I improved the denial msg to the point that users ARE figuring out what
they did wrong. The message is specific to non-subscriber posts (based
on access_rules) and painfully clear. (A copy is below for others who
might be able to use it - I'll probably put in a sentence about the
duplicate msg problem now that I'm sure it's the way Mj2 is configured.)
Once they figure out the problem, they use the right address and get
nailed again! (and then they are unhappy)

Anyway, once the denial msg is clear enough, the list owner doesn't need
to get a full mailbox from people too lazy to read it. If the msgs keep
going out (via owner approval) then people don't learn about the alias
command and/or they blindly keep thinking they're doing it the right way.

SRE

      No one will see it unless you take further action!

Your current header shows you are: $VICTIM

If you think you are a subscriber, it is very likely that your current
mail headers do not contain the same address as the one used when you
subscribed. This may have been changed by your email administrator, but
you may be able to correct it by reconfiguring your mail tool.

To get a list charter with subscription commands, send email to
lists@climber.org with this one-line command in the message:
   info $LIST

For general info on Climber.Org send any message to info@climber.org
ENDNONSUBSCRIBERPOST