(February 1999)

Subject: Re: Syslog?
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Date: 22 Feb 1999 10:44:09 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

SB> The right thing is to fix Syslog.pm so that it gets the right
SB> definitions as part of the perl installation.

They've been over this in p5p and for some reason nothing has been done,
but even if it was fixed it doesn't help folks running current versions of
Perl.  I've successfully resisted the requirement for 5.005_02 (you can
still use 5.004_01 or later).

I'll just turn syslog off by default and let you turn it on if you want it
and it actually works on your system.  Right now syslogging is not really
useful for other reasons; it presents an enormous overhead for debugging
logs.  What it would be really useful for is sendmail-style 'print one line
per message received' logging, but Mj2 doesn't yet do any of that.

 - J<