(February 1999)

Subject: Re: Syslog?
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: 24 Feb 1999 23:29:11 -0800
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

Jason L Tibbitts <tibbs@math.uh.edu> writes:

> SB> The right thing is to fix Syslog.pm so that it gets the right
> SB> definitions as part of the perl installation.

> They've been over this in p5p and for some reason nothing has been done,
> but even if it was fixed it doesn't help folks running current versions
> of Perl.  I've successfully resisted the requirement for 5.005_02 (you
> can still use 5.004_01 or later).

It's going to be done.  Fluffy has XS code that will just call the libc
routines rather than do all of the ugliness that the current module does
with UDP packets or Unix domain sockets, falling back on the previous
behavior if and only if libc doesn't have the syslog functions built in.
It's just a matter of getting it tested and included in the development
version of Perl.

It doesn't help current folks, no, but hang on to the code that does
syslog since eventually everyone will be able to use it easily.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>