(February 1999)

Subject: Re: DEFAULT vs. LOCAL for qmail (ignore previous)
From: Brian Grossman <brian @ SoftHome . net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:18:00 -0700
To: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Cc: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

RA> My *understanding* is that virtual domains don't rewrite the envelope
RA> recipient, so if you get mail addressed to majordomo@lists.example.com and
RA> lists.example.com is a virtual domain pointing to the lists user, you get
RA> "majordomo" in LOCAL, not "lists-majordomo" which is the user that things
RA> are actually getting delivered to.  So I *believe* that mjdispatch should
RA> do the right thing in that environment.
RA>
RA> I'm therefore somewhat confused as to the problem being fixed by using
RA> DEFAULT instead and could use some clarification.

My assumption is that one would use the virtualdomains control file,
perhaps in conjunction with the qmail-users(5) mechanism.

For example, for my experimental environment, I use this line in
control/virtualhosts:
	list.softhome.net:softhome
and this line in users/assign:
	+softhome-:majordomo:405:2:/home/majordomo:-:softhome-:
which makes majordomo@lists.softhome.net get delivered to
the local address majordomo-softhome-majordomo
via ~majordomo/.qmail-softhome-default, which contains:
	|/home/majordomo/bin/mj_email -Q -d list.softhome.net

That's with my DEFAULT hack.  I have no idea how to implement more than a
single domain with just LOCAL.  How do you do it?

In other words, I figure there should be one .qmail file per
majordomo-hosted domain:  .qmail-domain-default.

And FWIW, my proposed DEFAULT patch falls back to LOCAL if DEFAULT is not set.

JL> DEFAULT is better, but was only introduced in qmail 1.03 which a few
JL> people still don't run.  Use the code that's there, but put in a comment
JL> noting that they may have to twiddle it if they're not running 1.03 and
JL> have multi-component addresses before the default part.

I didn't realize it was a 1.03 thing.  Is the fallback to LOCAL sufficient
to solve that concern?

Brian