(May 1999)

Subject: Re: Mj2 post confirmation
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:12:24 -0700
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

Point me to the right part of the code and I'll take a stab at it.

At 12:11 PM 5/22/99 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>It would technically be possible to count how many addresses were actually
>sent the message, although I can't really see how this is useful.

It's useful for the person sending the post in two ways. First, it's
confirmation that the post was accepted (e.g. they used the right
account, they were not bounced by a filter, or the moderator has
approved it for distribution). Second, it gives them a warm fuzzy
about how many people they were talking to. I get this question all
the time, in the form of a post to the list saying "is anyone still
subscribed?" after a lull in traffic.

I agree there are other ways to find out how many people are subscribed.
There is NO other way to find out how many people got a copy, however,
since all of the subscribers might be set to digest or nomail. My lists
tend to be highly interactive, where someone makes a post and expects
a response within a few hours.

If the server is slow, I find myself logging into a shell account and
checking the archives. There are sometimes HOURS between when the post
is entered into the archive and when it is delivered to me by email.
Getting a priority note saying "I've queued 487 messages, you'll get
yours soon" is, again, a warm fuzzy that can't be gotten any other way.

And since we all want Mj2 to be a real competitor, I'll mention the
ListServ software which has this as its default behavior. Here's an
example of what I got on the old server:

>>>Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 16:30:58 -0700
>>>From: "L-Soft list server at Sierra Club (1.8d)"
>>>              <LISTSERV@LISTS.SIERRACLUB.ORG>
>>>Subject:      Message ("Your message dated Wed, 12 May 1999 16:24:21...")
>>>To: admin@CLIMBER.ORG
>>>
>>>Your message dated Wed, 12 May  1999 16:24:21 -0700 with subject "this list
>>>is moving! Please read carefully." has been successfully distributed to the
>>>LOMAP-DAY-HIKING list (262 recipients).

See, it's a nice package. How many people it was sent to (not whether it
was delivered, which you correctly point out would be difficult to know),
what the subject was, which list it went to, and the "set" command can
be used to turn the messages on or off on a per-list basis. The message
is sent out BEFORE the MTA is poked, apparently, because the confirmation
comes back in seconds even for large lists.

SRE

mailto:eckert@climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world:
the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
  -- George Bernard Shaw