(May 1999)

Subject: Re: latest majordomo
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Date: 27 May 1999 00:14:15 -0500
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>

RA> Are you sure that you have qmail configured to run programs in .qmail
RA> files controlled by majordomo as the right user and group?

I think the problem is that in the absence of a virtual domain setup there
is still a .qmail-default file somewhere that you can set.  When run this
way, the executing user is not Majordomo but is some default qmail user.

Is this a reasonable explanation?  Is this an actual problem?  There's an
item on the TODO list regarding making setuid-ness configurable under
qmail, but I don't have an explanation why it is needed.  It isn't terribly
difficult, although someone would need to provide with some documentation
stating under what circumstances you'd actually need this.

 - J<