(August 1999)

Subject: Re: Address matching?
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Date: 02 Aug 1999 21:56:39 -0500
To: Bob Snyder <rsnyder @ toontown . erial . nj . us>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

BS> Absolutely. And this address is subscribed. The only thing I can see
BS> being an issue is that the user portion of the email address is
BS> capitalized differently than the actual address that was subscribed.

Well, you do realize that the local-part is case-sensitive, right?  Nothing
in the standard says that we are free to ignore case there, so we don't (by
default).  You can, though, change that if you like; simply do

configset listname addr_xforms <<END
ignore case
END
rekey listname

and you'll be case-insensitive.  Indeed, the debug info shows that the
problem is a difference in case.  Do note that if you have two
subscriptions or registrations that differ only in case then one will be
destroyed by this operation, so be careful.

I think I need to add an installer question about this because so many
people seem to be tripped up by this behavior.

 - J<