(August 1999)

Subject: RE:MJ2 on virtual server (e.g. iserver)
From: "Sid MacLeod" <sid @ sidzone . net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:54:43 -0400
To: "Bob Reap" <reap @ teachers . net>
Cc: <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>, <majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM>

BR>  I've had a few issues with the environment of this
BR> system, and am looking to make contact with anyone who has had success
BR> installing one or more of these packages into this type of system.  If
BR> you've had success with this, please drop me a note, I have a few
BR> questions
BR> for you.

 - J<>I assume that since you want to use bulk_mailer, your system is
running
 - J<>Sendmail and so you shouldn't really have any issues running
Majordomo2 on
 - J<>it as long as you have the necessary versions of Perl and its modules.

I have compiled and installed quite a few Perl based packages on Iserver
machines, and basically you will run into more permission and
file/path/problems than you would on a normal UNIX system.  "YOU" don't own
sendmail, it resides in usr/home/username/bin/sendmail, yet most scripts
will need to call /bin/sendmail, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Not being able to 'chown' files and directories can make for some late
nights.  "YOUR" root, and "root" are two different entities.  These are
probably a few reasons that on Iserver MJ1 is a /contrib file that installs
itself, and sets permissions to suit the system.

I have had MJ2 installed on an Iserver machine for a few weeks now, and runs
fine...... except for the fact that sendmail still isn't being called
properly.  Yet.   When I get it worked out, I could lend a hand upgrading
your (or any other poor soul on Iserver) MJ2.

Sid MacLeod
sidZone Internet Solutions
http://hosting.sidzone.net