(November 1999)

Subject: Re: MJ2 Just Stopped Working?
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Date: 06 Nov 1999 10:42:17 -0600
To: Chuck Milam <milam @ uwosh . edu>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, "David E. Crawford, LtCol, CAP" <dcrawford @ mer . cap . gov>

CM> The symptoms of the problem: A message will come into the system, and a
CM> "mj_email" process will get started.  The process will grow to ~6600 in
CM> size, and then just stalls.

But surely it must emit some logging information before it gets to this.
If it sleeps forever it's probably trying to acquire a lock.  If it's
chewing CPU then it just remains to find the place where it's looping.
Debug logs will help in this.

Can you do any list operations from the command line?  (You can even post
messages from there using the 'post' command so you should be able to
duplicate anything from there.)  Just find something that doesn't work and
crank up the debugging.

CM> I wonder if maybe something has corrupted one of the DB config or list
CM> files?

DB should be stable in this regard; it is a production-class database
engine.  I found that I could freak it out by giving bad comparison
functions when creating the database but that shouldn't be an issue here.
More likely it is in my code.

CM> Or, if I have to reinstall from scratch, is there an easy way to
CM> restore the lists and their configs without having to to it manually?

I can't imagine that you would have to reinstall, but if you did you can
use the db_dump utility to dump a database or you can use a tiny bit of
Perl to accomplish the same thing.  (The only real problem is that for
BTree databases you have to provide the comparison function properly when
opening the database.)