(November 1999)

Subject: Re: MJ2 Just Stopped Working?
From: Andrew McNamara <andrewm @ connect . com . au>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 12:59:32 +1100
To: Chuck Milam <milam @ uwosh . edu>
Cc: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>, majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, "David E. Crawford, LtCol, CAP" <dcrawford @ mer . cap . gov>

>I thought it was weird to see a perl process segfault.  Very strange.
>We'll, I guess I'm going to verifying system libraries, rebuilding perl,
>etc.  Fun.  One of the other sysadmins was wondering yesterday if we had
>memory going bad or something.  Hell, at this point in the game, I'm
>willing to suspect anything.

You should be aware that dram does suffer random corruption as a result
of background radiation discharging the capacitive cells. If you
haven't got error correction applied to your memory, this can be the
cause of non-repeatable crashes. With decent quality ram, you should
expect to see a single bit corruption every few months.

 ---
Andrew McNamara (System Architect)

connect.com.au Pty Ltd
Lvl 3, 213 Miller St, North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9409 2117, Fax: +61 2 9409 2111