(February 2000)

Subject: attachments
From: Mark Keisler <keisler @ cig . mot . com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:35:39 -0600 (CST)
To: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

Greetings, I'm new to the list.  I have a question, a contribution,
and another question:

1) When a message has an attachment, the fronter and footer for the
majordomo list are lost.  The fronter is actually still there, but the
email client doesn't see it because it comes before the MIME
"declaration."  The footer is plain gone.  I am using 1.94.4, so maybe
something in 1.94.5 fixes this.  The fronter part seems easy, but I am
puzzled by the disappearing footer.  I saw this comment in the NEWS
file for 1.94.5:
o Detects some attachments sent as commands
What does that mean and does it relate to this in any way?

2) My site has nested majordomo lists (list subscribers may be other
majordomo lists at the site).  A problem occurred where the fronters
and footers for each nesting got appended.  So, someone on a list 3
layers deep got three sets of fronters and footers.  I got around this
by adding a check for the X-List header that a majordomo list would
put into a header once it has gone through majordomo and setting a
variable called $NESTED_LIST to true:

 # -MK Add check for X-List in the header so we know that this is a
 # nested majordomo list.  Then we can avoid putting numerous fronters
 # and footers onto it.
 if(/^x-list:.*majordomo/i) {
   $NESTED_LIST = 1
 }
 else { $NESTED_LIST = 0; }

Then, I changed the print statements in resend that print the fronter
and footer to the message filehandle:
    print OUT $fronter unless $NESTED_LIST; # -MK
    print OUT $footer unless $NESTED_LIST; # -MK

3) I have several other customizations that I have made that may or
may not benefit majordomo in general (I have a specialized site, but
don't we all).  Should I just mail them like above to share
them?  Lemme know.

Thanks.

Mark

It has to happen somewhere.
It has to happen sometime.
What better place than here?
What better time than now?

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Majordomo in Russian