From: Michael Yount <csf @ moscow . com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:46:35 -0800
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy @ hub . org>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM, mj2-dev @ csf . colorado . edu

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 10:16:54PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > There are two possible problems...the first is that the MTA you're using tends
> > to have delays during SMTP conversations due to DNS lookups.  The second
> > is that sometimes the conversation between mj_queueserv and mj_queuerun
> > will time out if the system load is high, and messages will remain
> > in the Mj2 queue until another request arrives.  The second problem
> > can be ameliorated by increasing the queue timeout in .mj_config
> > and reinstalling.
>
> Okay, item one should be reduced by setting a delivery_rule of:
>
> ALL
> sort, minseperate=10, maxaddrs=20
> hosts=(news.hub.org=(esmtp,pipelining,onex,timeout=300))
> backup=(hub.org=(esmtp,pipelining,onex,timeout=300))
>
> to make for smaller packets, no?

No.  Delivery is done serially, and if a particular address hangs
during RCPT TO because of a slow DNS server, any adjustment has
to be done in the MTA; there's nothing Mj2 can do about it.

> as for item two ... loadavg shouldn't be much of a concern right now, as
> our "load intensive app" is currently offline until we throw a second CPU
> into this thing ...

Permissions are tight on your tmp/mj directory, or I'd check the logs.
Look for lines in mj_queueserv.debug like:

Queueserv: Runner did not respond.
Queueserv: Out: Problems starting queue runner; queueing

Michael