Subject: Re: Outlook and Majordomo help
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ lists . linuxppc . org>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:09:40 -0500
To: relph @ sgi . com
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM

[ John Relph writes: ]

> A user has complained that Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express
> incorrectly makes an HTML mailto: link out of the mail addresses in
> Majordomo help messages.

So why do they continue to use a mailer that mangles their mail?
(Rhetorical question, don't answer). Contrary to Bill's commands, they
do have a choice.

> Outlook will convert the two email addresses into mailto: links as follows:
>
>     Someone (possibly you) has requested that your email address be added
>     to or deleted from the mailing list "<A
>     HREF="mailto:chalkhills@sgiblab.sgi.com&quot;.";>chalkhills@sgiblab.sgi.com".</A>
>
>     If you really want this action to be taken, please send the following
>     commands (exactly as shown) back to "<A
>     HREF="majordomo@sgiblab.sgi.com&quot;:">majordomo@sgiblab.sgi.com":</A>
>
> Which is completely broken and bogus.  But which also makes it
> difficult for Outlook users to easily send the "auth" message.

How so? That part of the message is supposed to be stripped away and to
reply only w/ the auth command. The key word there being "reply", not
click on every address their mailer corrupts and highlights. I view it
as an intelligence test to gain admittance to my lists. ;->

--
 Dave Wolfe