Subject: Re: Outlook and Majordomo help
From: relph @ mando . engr . sgi . com (John Relph)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 20:18:09 -0700 (PDT)
To: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ lists . linuxppc . org>, relph @ sgi . com
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com

On Apr 23, 22:09, Dave Wolfe wrote:
>[ John Relph writes: ]
>>
>> A user has complained that Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express
>> incorrectly makes an HTML mailto: link out of the mail addresses in
>> Majordomo help messages.
>
>So why do they continue to use a mailer that mangles their mail?
>(Rhetorical question, don't answer). Contrary to Bill's commands, they
>do have a choice.

Perhaps that's so, but that doesn't mean that we can't help them out
just a little.

>> Outlook will convert the two email addresses into mailto: links as follows:
>>
>>     Someone (possibly you) has requested that your email address be added
>>     to or deleted from the mailing list "<A
>>     HREF="mailto:chalkhills@sgiblab.sgi.com&quot;.";>chalkhills@sgiblab.sgi.com".</A>
>>
>>     If you really want this action to be taken, please send the following
>>     commands (exactly as shown) back to "<A
>>     HREF="majordomo@sgiblab.sgi.com&quot;:">majordomo@sgiblab.sgi.com":</A>
>>
>> Which is completely broken and bogus.  But which also makes it
>> difficult for Outlook users to easily send the "auth" message.
>
>How so? That part of the message is supposed to be stripped away and to
>reply only w/ the auth command. The key word there being "reply", not
>click on every address their mailer corrupts and highlights. I view it
>as an intelligence test to gain admittance to my lists. ;->

It's true that if a person reads the instructions and follows them, it
should work.  But Outlook also highlights the majordomo address, which
in theory should make it easy for the fluser to click on that address
and then cut and paste the "auth" line(s) into the new message being
composed.  Unfortunately, Outlook botches it.

The real problem here is that I get complaints about the difficulty of
subscribing.  I would rather make it slightly easier (in this
particular case, given the quirks of the mailer) so that I don't have
to answer questions personally.  After all, Majordomo does also say

    If you have any questions about the policy of the list owner, please
    contact "chalkhills-approval@sgiblab.sgi.com".

(Yes, I know this isn't a policy question, but this is the address of
a "live human being" and thus there is the expectation of real help
being given.  I may be a curmudgeon, but I don't necessarily want to
be an asshole all the time.)

So basically, if all I have to do is to change the format of a few
lines of help text, then I'm all for it.  So I'm still looking for
suggestions on the format.

Thanks.

	-- John