(June 2000)

Subject: Re: bounce processing in mj2 ...
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Date: 08 Jun 2000 14:54:34 -0500
To: Dan Liston <dliston @ netscape . com>
Cc: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, mj2-dev @ csf . colorado . edu

DL> I would be happy to forward a file of nearly 4000 bounced messages for
DL> you to parse, examine differences in headers, error messages,
DL> fatal/non-fatal, etc.  Just say the word, and I will email or ftp the
DL> "large" mbox file to you.

This would be nice; feel free to mail the file to me.

Although it would be even nicer if someone (i.e. besides me) could do some
of the legwork by figuring out which of these bounces we handle properly,
which we don't, and how we can parse them.  It's pretty simple to write a
parse routine; there are already several in the source and I'm adding
support for the broken DSNs generated by Netscape Messaging Server (no
per-recipient-fields as required by RFC1894) and various MTAs that put
things like "250 OK" as the failure diagnostic (AOL,Yahoo).  Once these are
done, I'll see about 95% of the bounces I get being parsed properly.

I can do some of it, but going through 4000 bounces is going to bog me down
a bit.

 - J<